Friday, April 17, 2020

What It Really Means To Us

Today I post not only as a mother but as an educator. This year marked my first time having my own classroom and classes. It was suppose to be a year of learning, teaching, and helping my students reach their full potential. Yet March 15th it was announced that all schools would close down for two weeks to allow cleaning of whole schools and prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

As a teacher this was such a sad experience. Our students were being forced out of their classrooms and away from their teachers. I remember that following Monday pulling together learning packets for my students in hopes they would complete them to avoid any loss of skills and what they had learned. A faculty meeting after school was so somber as we all faced uncertainty and felt so helpless. In the coming weeks the return date was extended to the April 7th, then the 30th and now they announcement that schools would not reopen this school year.


So here I sit thinking of the many things this means for students, their parents, and all educators.

As a Parent: I cried many tears for my boys knowing what it means. It means the stable and familiar schedule that they need has been taken from them. Their friends and teachers that bring them so much joy and happiness aren't allowed to be with them. It means that while they may continue with an e-learning curriculum they are losing out on almost 6 months of classroom instruction until they
ll hopefully be allowed in a classroom. They don't understand why they can't go to school. They feel like they are being punished and deprived of so many things that they should be experiencing. They don't care if people 'feel for them' because that doesn't change how horrible this whole situation really is.

The Students: My heart breaks for every one of my students and all they are losing out on. I can't help but be sad for my 8th graders that are missing out on milestones they deserved to experience. They deserved to be able to enjoy the last few months of their middle school years in a classroom with friends not confined to their homes. We were suppose to have this time to be all together before their new beginning in the fall. I think of my Kindergarten students who are missing out on classroom activities, hands on learning, and friendships that they were just starting to build. For all the students at our school that can't see their teachers and friends and are having to learn in new ways. I think of the students that might not have the best of home lives and school was their safe place. I think of the students that are losing out on services and socialization. This isn't a minor inconvenience to them it's a huge part of their lives.   

As a Teacher: Teaching has always been my life's passion and when I walked into my classroom for the first time I knew I was finally getting to live a dream I had for so long. To have it so cruelly ripped away at no fault of my own is so disheartening. While I continue to 'teach' my students from afar it isn't the learning that they deserve. It certainly isn't the teaching that I want to be doing.

We will all make it through this time and yes it'll be an experience that we will never forget. Still I hope people understand why there will be great sadness, anger, and great loss for many as we wait and wonder what's next.

No comments: