Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Autism - Different not Less

April is World Autism Month. To celebrate all those Amazing, Unique, Totally Inspiring, Sometimes Mysterious children and adults who define what autism means I have decided to restart my blog. I will post each day talking about my amazing son, Johnathan who sees the weird threw a different lens and invites us in to see it too.



Post #1
Prepared
When my son was diagnosed with Autism I reflected back on the fact that I had been prepared for this. Not because I knew it was a possibility but because I had been blessed to know autism had many foams.

In 2001 I student taught in a classroom with a student who had severe autism. She was mostly non-verbal and delayed in many area. She had her own aide and most of her instruction time was spent outside of the mainstream classroom. The one memory I have of her was she had the greatest smile. While I couldn't understand what her needs were or be a part of her 'world' she still communicated to me a pure happiness she held in her heart.

In 2002-2003 once again I was placed into another student teaching position that included a male student who had Asperger Autism. This time I was given the opportunity to work one on one and in a group with this student multiple times. He certainly opened my eyes to the main characteristics that those with autism possess. He taught me about learning new approaches, learning the definition of different but not less, and that their worlds are amazing if you take time to join them. I still remember his 'quirks' that made my heart smile and the challenges that made me grow as a teacher.

In 2005 I took my first job in a school district working in a resource room classroom setting. God's hand was guiding me to this place as my introduction to the wide spectrum of autism was coming. In the next 3 years I would work side by side, one on one, and daily with students that were on the spectrum. I saw the challenges this students experienced as they learned classroom material, worked to develop friendships with their peers, and dealt with body and hormone changes they didn't understand. I saw the differences that shaped the lives of these students. I worked with a girl student that dealt with many learning challenges that filled her days. I worked with a male student whose learning was often delayed due to his difficulty with social cues. I took classes on autism, researched strategies, and made time to really learn about each of my students. The year I was pregnant with my son I worked as an one-on-one aide for a student with autism. He tested me, taught me, and guided me on the wild world of autism. He stole a piece of my heart and I'm forever thankful for my lessons he gave me.

When my son was diagnosed with autism I knew that my past experiences had all been part of God's plan. While my son, like all those on the spectrum, is like no other child on the spectrum I knew I could join his world. I could 'take his hand' and he'd lead me on his journey through this world. (More about this journey to come in the days/posts ahead - so stay tuned)

The biggest blessing though was not only being able to connect with my son but all my students that have autism. God works in amazing ways and I'm thankful for all those amazing, unique, totally inspiring, sometimes mysterious 'journey guides' I have met and will meet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow this is great Michelle!

Unknown said...

Beautifully written😊